Wednesday, July 23, 2014

How to Make Salted Caramel

Salted Caramel became all the rage last year (or was it the year before?), probably due to something they made on Masterchef. Since having S I decided I wanted to improve my cupcake making skills so that I can bake awesome birthday cakes for her. A few weeks ago I came across a recipe for Salted Caramel Cupcakes and knew I had to make them as a trial run for future events requiring cupcakes. 

Of course the most important part of making the cupcakes is the Salted Caramel. I found the recipe so easy and delicious, that I had to share. And it only requires 3 ingredients!

 

Ingredients:

1 cup caster sugar
120ml water
3/4 cup thickened cream
2 tsp sea salt (I used pink Himalayan sea salt)


Add the sugar and water to a saucepan.  


Turn on to a medium heat and let it bubble. DO NOT stir the mixture.


Eventually the mixture will turn golden brown (some point after at least 5 minutes, may take up to 10). You can turn it off the heat once it gets to your desired colour as you may want a lighter or darker caramel. 


Add in the cream and salt and stir vigorously so the sugar doesn't harden.


Pour into a bowl and place in the fridge to cool down. Once it is cool, it will be nice and thick.

This caramel tastes amazing, and is perfect to be used in baking (like the cupcakes below) or dolloped on fresh fruit or ice-cream, or even eaten with a spoon (I'm not admitting to doing this...)


Cupcake recipe coming soon :)

Let me know if you try it.

Riette
x

No comments:

Post a Comment